STEP 1 - Gather Your Materials
- Something round
- Tape (Any kind works. We used packing tape and artist tape)
- Canary Cutter
- Hot Glue (optional)
For this project, I took a handful of creative reuse materials I could find at home. Make sure to check with an adult if it's okay to use before hot gluing it onto art projects.
- Any creative reuse materials you can think of (plastic reuse materials, beads, buttons, mylar)
- Cardboard or paper board
STEP 2 - Trace circles from a round object
Out of the round objects in our surroundings, we can see that we have a few differing sizes. Take the round objects that you gathered and trace them onto cardboard.
Using the canary cutter and scissors, cut your cardboard pieces. Use the screwdriver to poke a hole and cut the inside circle out with a canary cutter.
Try drawing and cutting out circles of multiple sizes. Are bigger circles easier or harder than smaller ones?
- Use your canary cutter to quickly cut a little outside your circle, like a square or hexagon, then use your scissors to trim the little bits from the edge of the circle without bending the cardboard.
- If you put a smaller circle in between two bigger circles, you have more stable, thicker wheels. Try using this circle sandwich as a pulley!
- Use a screwdriver to poke holes in between to line the wheels up and hold them as you glue them together.
- Replace the screwdriver with skewers to create axles.
- You can use the roll of tape from the Tinkering Toolkit to trace circles out.
We learned another technique for making perfect circles that involves creating your own compass, which we will happily share with you. Stay tuned and subscribe to our Youtube Channel to be notified of when we share this new Tiny Technique.
STEP 3 - Design a Planet Rover
- If you would design a Planet Rover, what would it look like?
- What planet would you send it to?
- What kind of data would it collect?
Let's get creative! Here are a few designs from your facilitators at reDiscover Center.
Activity Guide by Hanabee Cartagena, with techniques and creations from Yeltsin Penado.
Once you have finished your character, share them with friends and family and show them how you take care of yourself, by filling the void in your life in healthy ways! If you want to share a picture on social media, make sure to tag @reDiscoverCtr. We love to see what you make!