Mission & Vision
reDiscover’s Mission is to provide makers with the tools, resources, and confidence to engage in creative reuse and self-expression. We educate youth of all levels of expertise in transforming discarded materials into art, functional objects, and tools for learning. We support one another as hands-on creators, problem-solvers, community stakeholders, and stewards of the Earth.
reDiscover envisions a culture of makers who contribute to building a creative and environmentally sustainable society. We provide affordable and accessible programming for all youth in Los Angeles. Our imaginative and resourceful staff create spaces–physical and mental–where everyone is welcome to explore their creativity without judgment.
As reDiscover nurtures creative reuse among makers, we move closer to a culture where reclaimed materials can be recognized for their educational and creative value. We achieve this vision by enhancing youth’s instincts and interests to use the available resources in their lives responsibly. By sharing our resources in a makerspace, we reinforce practices of sharing that strengthen our neighborhoods, city, society, and planet.
At reDiscover, we:
- Support Personal Expression - Nurture the joy of creation.
- We share excitement for making art, and create spaces to inspire the wildest ideas.
- Celebrate Creative Makers - Makers are everywhere; learn from everybody.
- reDiscover is a place where facilitators, tinkerers, and community members come together and learn from one another.
- Teach Environmental Stewardship - People who rediscover materials creatively learn to use material resources responsibly in all parts of their lives.
- We partner with organizations that teach environmental stewardship in all its forms.
- Engage Hands-On Learning - Sharing the joy of tactile making with youth from all walks of life, all over Los Angeles.
- Exploring materials and using tools with our hands deeply connects us to new concepts and new ways of looking at the world around us.
- Value Play - Because creativity is fun, experimental, and playful.
- Play is a vital part of learning.
- Establish a Culture of Safety - Trust is the foundation for using powerful tools safely.
- Respect the tools. Respect the space. Respect your body. Respect the people around you.
- Build Confidence by Teaching Competence - Maker skills turn imagination into real things.
- reDiscover instills individual agency in educators, artists, makers, and environmental activists to make their visions come to life. Every maker starts somewhere and can go anywhere.
Founded in 2003, reDiscover is the outgrowth of a working group of 25 education-focused agencies and individuals in Santa Monica and Venice, including the directors of four early childhood education centers. This group aimed to devise an alternative to the uninspiring art materials then in use in local preschool and elementary school classrooms and to address these schools' limited environmental awareness. At the time, there were no opportunities in Los Angeles to donate or receive waste and scraps that had viability as art materials and could displace costly and often wasteful retail art supplies. As the organization gained expertise in creative reuse materials, its mission expanded to engage children across Los Angeles County with sustainable, materials-intensive creativity education.
While arts education had been a part of the organization from the start, in 2010, reDiscover began running a few week-long summer camps that emphasized using more intensive tools in creative reuse. With clamps, drills, handsaws, jigsaws, and a chopsaw, young tinkerers could utilize reclaimed wood in addition to the existing materials to make larger creations. This summer camp program grew threefold in 2015, and since then has spread to 6 different locations, and has given birth to a variety of programs that meet children where they are.
Today, reDiscover annually serves over 11,000 youth ages 2-18 and nearly 6,000 adults and is the only non-profit organization in Los Angeles that offers this type of creative programming. We work with more than 40 Los Angeles-area schools, libraries, museums, community centers, social service agencies, and parks departments to coordinate the delivery of our educational programs to targeted populations and the general public throughout the year. Over the past five years, reDiscover has expanded programming to include daily drop-in hours, week-long camps, and a regular schedule of workshops at our Center. Other activities feature educational programs delivered at the partners' sites to their students or communities, including many free events such as Homewalk and UCLA's Exploring Your Universe.
reDiscover Center 2016 Highlights
reDiscover Center 2017 Highlights
reDiscover Center 2018 Highlights
reDiscover Center 2019 Highlights
reDiscover Center 2020 Highlights
reDiscover Center 2021 Highlights
reDiscover Center 2022 Highlights
reDiscover Center profile on Guidestar