reDiscover Center Development Manager Job Description
Join an enthusiastic team of artists, educators, and non-profit professionals and help 12,000 kids be creative sustainable makers at reDiscover Center.
reDiscover’s Development Manager is a central position within reDiscover's Development Team, staff and board members who implement Development efforts in the areas of foundation and government grants, individual donations, major gifts, events, and corporate sponsorships. The Development Manager coordinates the team and ensures high quality public-facing communications including branding, social media, website, and print materials. This is an early career position in a rapidly growing organization with great potential for career growth.
About reDiscover Center
reDiscover Center develops children's creativity through hands-on making with sustainable materials. Founded in 2004, we operate the largest public kids makerspace in Los Angeles, with over 3,000 sf of tools, materials, and workspaces. reDiscover puts real tools in kids' hands, safely. Through camps, classes, and community events, we facilitate children's creativity and foster self-confidence as makers and tinkerers. We teach sustainable practices like tinkering and upcycling, helping to create an environmentally aware culture. We draw from Reggio Emilia, the Maker Movement, STEAM education, and Los Angeles' storied history in assemblage art. We develop programs to inspire children and give them the time and space they need to create their own projects. We serve over 12,000 youth per year through a mix of free and fee-based educational programs at reDiscover Center, local schools, and community events. Our largest programs are school-based maker education services, Tinkering Camp, and the Cardboard City Pop-up Art Center.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Lead new donor research and support the Development Team’s donor pipeline progress.
- Communicate directly with donors by phone, email, and in person.
- Accurately track donors’ relationships with reDiscover, coordinating appropriate follow-up and gift recognition.
- Manage and support growth of reDiscover’s contact list for clients and donors.
- Liaise with corporations to secure sponsorships and donations.
- Manage an annual calendar of grant and reporting deadlines.
- Work with the Executive Director and Programs staff to draft customized proposals and provide timely and accurate reporting.
- Support production of fundraising events including annual Fall Fundraiser.
- Draft and edit written communications, including grant proposals and reports, donor emails, newsletters, annual reports, social media, and public communications for print and the web.
- Support staff, board members, and volunteers to provide excellent customer service.
- Research best practices in development strategies, periodically drafting suggested changes to the Development Plan.
- Other duties as assigned.
None; works closely with Social Media Specialist.
- 2 years experience in non-profit management including work in at least three Development or Communications areas: grants, individuals, major gifts, events, corporate sponsorship, social media, client relations, or customer service.
- Proven skill as an excellent writer of non-profit communications such as grants, social media, and reports. Ability to balance brevity and detail, capture the attention of a busy foundation officer or principal, and consistently present precise professional writing.
- Close attention to detail, ability to manage complex schedules, coordinate onsite and offsite teams, provide excellent customer service.
- Experience supporting a diverse team with timely and relevant information, adherence to schedules, and personalized support.
- Ability to track reDiscover’s relationships with hundreds of individuals and organizations.
- Experience drafting and monitoring budgets in Excel.
- Experience with Neon One or an equivalent CRM a plus.
Submit a cover letter, resume, 2 professional references, and 1-2 writing samples in fundraising or a similar genre to firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. A final employment offer will be made contingent on passing a background check and showing proof of eligibility to work in the US.
$50-60,000 commensurate with experience, plus a benefits package that includes 10 paid holidays, 10 days PTO, Gold-level health care plan, SIMPLE IRA, and professional development stipend. reDiscover is committed to the ongoing professional and personal growth of all of our staff members.