reDiscover is expanding and looking to hire a Educational Facilitator. Now in its 15th year, reDiscover runs popular after school programs at the reDiscover Center in Venice and at schools around LA County. Children explore hands-on, open-ended problems as catalysts for patient problem solving, adventure, and self-directed learning. Building in wood, cardboard, and upcycled materials with hand and power tools, 5-16 year olds think, make, and tinker in a unique atmosphere of trust and responsibility.
Full time non-exempt
Work schedule to include one weekend day per week
- Plan, prep, and lead educational programs, including Open Hours, Tinkering Camps, after school programs, workshops, and classes at reDiscover Center and offsite locations on the Westside and in adjacent regions of LA.
- Document programs and conduct evaluations of program quality and impact.
- Develop curricula, lesson plans, activity guides, and similar documents for internal use and publication.
- Research and propose new programs.
- Supervise Assistant Facilitators and volunteers.
- Maintain tools, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Load and drive rented cargo vans for offsite programs.
- Represent reDiscover to the public at reDiscover, public events, and in online professional and public maker/tinkerer communities.
- Research regional and national trends and best practices in STEAM education, sustainability education, and makerspaces.
- Manage 1-2 administrative areas, such as staff scheduling, client communications, Creative Reuse Materials warehouse management, social media marketing
- Contribute to special projects at reDiscover and offsite.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent independence and time management skills.
- Experience teaching STEAM education programs to youth ages 3-12.
- Maker skills in media such as: construction or fine woodworking, paper crafting, sewing, assemblage sculpture, metalworking, etc.
- Familiarity with digital document creation, including text, photo, video, and social media.
- Experience facilitating work teams of educators, artists, and/or volunteers.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Ability to transport self and two 25 lbs. boxes of materials between reDiscover Center and designated sites around the Westside.
- Hiring is contingent on proof of eligibility to work in the U.S., valid CA Driver’s License, current TB test (negative) and Livescan background check showing eligibility to work with children.
Reports to: Director of Programs
Direct reports: Partial supervisory role to Assistant Facilitators and Volunteer Facilitators
reDiscover’s benefits include 10 days vacation, 10 holidays, sick leave, retirement match, and full medical coverage. reDiscover staff receive a professional development stipend and access to reDiscover’s makerspaces and materials for personal projects.
Interested applicants will email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and evidence of relevant awesomeness such as a lesson plan, a video of teaching, or artist’s/maker’s portfolio.