Our COVID-19 Response
Dear Tinkering Families,
We are committed to keeping your children and our staff safe during this time, and appreciate your patience as we modify our programming. Below you will find a list of the changes to our programs as well as the modifications we have made to accommodate social distancing.
- In-person camp starts June 22! Open Hours including Tool Training, Tinkering Club and Crafting Corner are CLOSED for the summer. No customers are allowed inside the building.
- Materials sales are available for curbside pickup. Email email@example.com with what you are looking for and we will pack it for you. Pre-packed Materials Kits are available for $25.
- Donations will be accepted on a case-by-case basis. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with information and photographs with what you would like to donate. Thank you for your donation!
- In-person summer camps for ages 7-12, and Teen Tinkering Camps for ages 11-16, will operate according to LA County DPH guidelines.
- If we are forced to cancel any in-person camp, registrants will have the choice to switch to an online camp, switch to a later camp, receive a credit for later programs, donate their registration fee to our scholarship fund, or receive a full refund.
- Our Juniors camps will not be held in person. We have replaced these with At Home Tinkering Together, a program with an included Tinkering Tool Kit where children work together with an adult.
- We have created week-long Online Summer Camps for ages 9-12, and Online Teen Camps for ages 11-16, programs with an included Tinkering Tool Kit, where children work independently with a facilitator in a group of up to 6 students.
- We additionally provide online classes that meet less frequently. We are able to create a custom class for you. Please email email@example.com.
- Our Tinkering Tool Kit, which includes our favorite tools and a selection of materials, is the perfect platform for home-based making that transforms cardboard and recyclables into robust creative projects.
Modifications for Social Distancing:
- In-person camps and classes will be limited to no more than 16 students per week.
- We will be taking temperatures at the door and interviewing parents about any symptoms a camper may be exhibiting. Campers who have a fever or who are not feeling well will not be allowed to attend and will be eligible for a full refund.
- We will be conducting outside drop off, with parents not to come inside the building.
- We will not be providing communal snack foods.
- We have set up individual workstations with personal hand tools and materials exclusive to each camper.
- We have created plexiglass dividers between workstations to maintain distance while still allowing communication.
- We will be wiping down the chop saw and band saw between uses, and every shared surface continuously throughout the day.
- Our Tinkering Tool Kit will be provided to campers at the beginning of the week, so that they have their own brand new pair of safety glasses and gloves. Campers take take home their Tinkering Tool Kit at the conclusion of camp to continue tinkering on their own or at an Online Tinkering Camp.
- We have set up additional hand washing stations to prevent gathering around the bathroom.
- Facilitators and campers will wear masks. We are attempting to acquire face shields for our facilitators as well.
- reDiscover provides sick leave for all staff, who are expected to stay home if they are not feeling well.