Cardboard City 2022 was inspirational! With 12' sculptures, massive collaborative art installations, cardboard costuming, skills building classes, and community connections Cardboard City 2022 was LA's best free art program this summer.
Over 10,000 visitors viewed works by 25 LA-based artists, chatted with artists-in-residence, and made cardboard creations as wild as a child's imagination.
Cardboard City is located on the first floor of Santa Monica Place in the East Court, between the Central Courtyard and Fourth St entrance. Nearest parking is in the immediately adjacent Santa Monica Parking Structure #7 and Parking Structure #8. Santa Monica Place is served by numerous bus lines and the Downtown Santa Monica stop on the Expo Line.
For groups of 10 or more please make a reservation. Community groups and camps with up to 30 visitors are encouraged to attend.
Cardboard City is free and open to all visitors. Start your visit with a tour of the Cardboard City exhibit, viewing inspirational cardboard art from LA artists. Be sure to come back throughout the summer as our artists-in-residence create new works each week, incorporating elements created by you and other Cardboard City participants.
Experience the hands-on fun of transforming simple cardboard into cool creations. Facilitators and Artists will be available to assist your making experience in our free Activity Zone! reDiscover has searched the world for the best cardboard tools that are kid-friendly and versatile. Come to Cardboard City with an idea of something you want to make or follow one of our prompts to create a project like a hat, a figurine, or architectural model, to take home or contribute to one of our collective sculptures.
No visit to Cardboard City is complete without a stop in the Cardboard City Shop. Here you will find cardboard sculptures, kits, and the tools and materials to make your home into a mini-Cardboard City, packed full of your family's imagination!
Did you ever think cardboard could stand twelve feet tall? Or look like a sea creature? Or even become a dress? Visit Cardboard City to see artworks that will redefine what you think about this common material. Artworks and installations by emerging and prominent artists from across Los Angeles County, including a weekly rotation of Artists-in-Residence.
Looking to participate in fun sustainable art making while making an impact? reDiscover's community outreach programs are made possible by the contribution of hundreds of volunteers who work with youth or behind the scenes to prepare materials for educational programs. At Cardboard City, we have individual and group volunteering opportunities daily through July and August. Volunteers who sign up for a regular schedule receive additional training in using tools and teaching hands-on STEAM programs. We love our volunteers!
Press and Video Links
- KTLA Morning News: Cardboard City by reDiscover
- FOX11: Good Day LA: Cardboard City Opens In Santa Monica
- NBC4: California Live: Cardboard City Creations
- KTLA Gayle on the Go for Sunday. July 3, 2022
- Santa Monica Mirror: Cardboard City Returning to Santa Monica this Weekend
- Santa Monica Daily Press: Cardboard City at Santa Monica Place
- Patch.com: Santa Monica's Cardboard City Pop Up Art Center Returns
- The Argonaut: Westside Happenings for June 23-26
- Radio Korea 1540AM: 산타모니카서 ‘무료 판지 도시’ 즐기세요 Enjoy the Free Cardboard City in Santa Monica
- LA Parent: Cardboard City
- Yahoo News: Cardboard City Museum Opens in Santa Monica
- Kids Guide Magazine: Cardboard City in Santa Monica
- Mommy Poppins: reDiscover Cardboard City Opening Ceremony
- ABC 7: Cardboard City: Santa Monica popup lets visitors transform cardboard into art
- The Argonaut: Santa Monica Project Invites Crowds to Pop-Up Art Center
- LAist: The Best IRL And Virtual Events Happening In SoCal This Week: July 5 - 8
- NBC Los Angeles: Free, Crafty, and Kid-Cool: 'Cardboard City' Opens
- Santa Monica Close Up: Cardboard City by reDiscover
- Los Angeles Times: From Shakespeare to 'Golden Girlz' drag: 10 best bets for your weekend