Summary: Work on a team including staff and volunteers to facilitate programs for ages 5-16 that encourage creativity using power tools and sustainable materials.
Location: Positions available at our program sites including weekday and afternoon shifts at reDiscover Center in Culver City and after school shifts at our school locations on the Westside, SFV, and South Bay. Part time work available year-round and full time during the summer camp season.
● Facilitate child-centered creativity through open ended questions and suggestions of materials and techniques.
● Demonstrate safe and proper tool use and use of appropriate safety equipment.
● Assist the Lead Facilitator in classroom management.
● Train and assess participants’ capacity for safe tool use through group and one-on-one tutorials.
● Coordinate with other staff to match participants’ tool skills with appropriate projects.
● Inspire enthusiasm for tinkering through personal expression of the joy of making.
● Supervise warm-up and break activities.
● Coach teams of 3-5 tinkerers in design, construction, testing, and redesign.
● Monitor and address interpersonal conflicts among participants.
● Maintain a tidy workshop, efficiently set up before activities and clean up afterwards, reshelve unused materials and tools after use.
● Make periodic suggestions for organizational improvement.
● Prepare and clean the workshop and other reDiscover facilities before and after tinkering sessions.
● Report broken tools, unsafe circumstances, and injuries to senior staff immediately.
Supervised by: Director of Programs
Qualifications: Experience with art, making, tinkering and/or woodworking. Public speaking skills, patience with adults and children of varying personalities and abilities, problem-solving ability, dependability. Aptitude for manual arts. Safety-oriented and able to consistently follow safe tool use protocols. Ability to lift 40 lbs. Must be able to transport four 20 gallon totes to offsite locations. Employment offers are made contingent on the results of a background check.
To apply, email a cover letter describing your interest and experience (1) working with children and (2) hands-on making (woodworking, sewing, crafting, robotics, etc.) to email@example.com. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.