Join a team of artists and educators and help provide hands-on sustainable art education to over 10,000 children per year. reDiscover Center is LA's largest public kids' makerspace, and the only one dedicated to the creative reuse of waste materials for art-first STEAM education. Our team is dedicated to art, making, and the environment.
Office Manager Job Description
The Office Manager ensures the smooth functioning of reDiscover Center’s operational systems, including HR, finance, communications, and facilities. This provides a strong organizational foundation that allows reDiscover to deliver excellent art, educational, and environmental programming. Working with the Leadership Team, the Office Manager sets and implements operational policies and procedures for all staff. The Office Manager oversees an Operations Team that includes a Social Media Specialist, Building Coordinator, and client-facing staff. Duties include: staff scheduling, hiring and training, client relations, facilities oversight, bookkeeping, marketing, occasional program delivery, and policy review.
The Office Manager works a split schedule of flexible on- or off-site work time and on site shifts that provide in person client relations and support to Programs staff. All reDiscover employees are invited and encouraged to participate directly in facilitating hands-on STEAM programs, as well as use reDiscover's makerspace facilities for personal projects.
10 federal holidays plus 10 days/year PTO, rising to 15 days/year after 2 years
$45,000-50,000 commensurate with experience plus generous benefits package
Work schedule to include occasional weekend and holiday coverage
- Manage HR systems, including: hiring and on boarding, overseeing staff scheduling, volunteer recruitment and management system, payroll, benefits administration, performance review system, and ombuds.
- Ensure accurate tracking of staff hours and pay, volunteer hours, and program attendance.
- Participate in the annual budgeting process to provide accurate and timely information on the income and expenses of the Operations Department; provide support to other departments on budgeting.
- Manage Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable, invoicing clients and renters; maintain accurate bookkeeping records.
- Track reDiscover’s purchases, managing procurement directly as needed; pay utilities and other recurring expenses, periodically reviewing systems for best fit and price.
- Lead a team of public-facing staff to provide excellent customer service, providing consistent messaging on available programs and services; coordinate client relations from point of inquiry to program delivery and evaluation.
- Maintain program registration systems, managing public-facing communications, accurately tracking registration records, responding to special requests, and supplying registration information to Programs staff.
- Lead reDiscover’s Communications Team to capture photos, video, and educational content, create posts for social media, eBlasts, website updates, flyers, presentations, videos, and related communications; organically grow reDiscover’s audience.
- Manage advertising and marketing budget, including online, print, in-person events, and other marketing channels, to meet communications goals.
- Coordinate periodic review of communications systems, including overseeing a biennial overhaul of rediscovercenter.org.
- Facilitate internal communications for feedback on Programs, integrate internal and external feedback for reports to Programs staff and Executive Director.
Systems and Support
- Implement reDiscover’s policies on materials, equipment, and facilities, including donated creative reuse materials, tools for educational programs, storage, office systems, approved facility uses, cleaning protocols; periodically update policies as conditions change.
- Maintain and update Operations systems that support Program Staff, including staff scheduling, facilities scheduling, equipment and materials coordination, information systems for training and program implementation, program evaluation.
- Implement ongoing improvements to reDiscover’s Operations systems that promote Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racism, in collaboration with the DEIA Committee. Participate in DEIA Committee meetings and ongoing work.
- Serve as a substitute Programs Facilitator in cases of emergency.
- Proactively contribute to the Leadership Team on the current state of Operations, suggestions for policy adjustments, feedback from Operations staff and aligned messaging for internal and external communications.
- Contribute to special projects at reDiscover, including prototype programming and periodic systems review and improvements across the organization.
Building Coordinator, Social Media Specialist, Client-facing Programs Staff, Volunteers and Interns
Regular 360 degree performance feedback and annual review with Executive Director
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent independence and time management skills.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting and HR systems.
- Experience in organizational management.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to speak publicly on behalf of reDiscover.
- Experience training and supervising productive work teams.
- Facility with Google Drive or similar productivity software.
- Familiarity with financial management services such as Square, Quickbooks, and donor management software.
- Capacity to gain new skills.
- Must possess valid CA Driver’s License, current TB test (negative) and LiveScan background check showing eligibility to work with children.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Creative Reuse art based skills, craft and woodworking tool knowledge, or makerspace experience.
- Experience recruiting and hiring for art, education, and/or non-profit positions.
- Bookkeeping experience.
- Facility with digital document creation, including text, photo, video, and social media.
- Experience working with camp and classes registration software.
- Knowledge of non-profit fundraising strategies and program development for STEAM education, art, and/or environmentalism.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
If you think you could excel in this position but do not meet all of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply. reDiscover Center is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and dedicated to reflecting the communities we serve. reDiscover Center works to meet our commitment to diversity and to build an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.