FAMILY FRIENDLY ART + HANDS-ON ACTIVITIES + EXHIBITS + CLASSES + MORE!
Westfield Century City, Second Floor next to Macy's and Eataly
10250 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90067
Closed for the Season for Drop-in Hours
Join us at reDiscover Cardboard City 2023!
Now in its third year, reDiscover Cardboard City 2023 is an annual pop-up art center produced by reDiscover Center. With massive cardboard art installations, skills building classes, cardboard art exhibits, workshops, weekly artist residencies, and hands-on activities, reDiscover Cardboard City is LA's best family friendly destination! Join 10,000 visitors and makers and come to Cardboard City to view works by LA-based artists, chat with artists-in-residence, and make cardboard creations as wild as your imagination.
Made part in possible by a grant from the City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs.
Artist in Residence Studio
Halloween Pop-up Artist-in-Residence German Diaz has a spooky vision for transforming Cardboard City into Halloween Central. Come help him make it possible!
Cardboard City's Artist-in-Residence program connects you with working artists who do amazing things with cardboard. Have you ever wanted to watch an artist create, talk to them about their process, or collaborate with them on their creation? At the Artist-in-Residence Studio you’ll be able to do exactly that.
|Summer 2023 Artist-in-Residence Lineup
7/19 - 7/23
Tips, tricks and techniques
7/26 - 7/30
|Diane Risa Sher
Witness the creation of a larger than life ostrich sculpture. Assist with the creation of a nest and an egg.
8/2 - 8/6
Create a small cardboard city with moving parts using simple mechanical elements such as cams, levers, and linkages. We all work together to create a community.
8/9 - 8/13
Create accessories using cardboard fractals as the base and inspiration
8/16 - 8/20
|Emeka M Simmons
|FASHION FORWARD POP ART!
Oversized handbags. Oversized shoes. Vintage Turntable. Oversized name art.
8/23 - 8/27
Create sculptures reflecting on repurposing materials, repair culture, and gardening
8/30 - 9/3
Create an interconnected sculpture that represents the systems and operations running our daily lives.
reDiscover Cardboard City is free and open to all visitors. Start your visit with a tour of the reDiscover Cardboard City exhibit, viewing inspirational cardboard art from LA artists, add to one of our collective art installations under the guidance of our Artists-in-Residence, and join a Cardboard Crafting session. Be sure to come back throughout the summer as our artists-in-residence create new works each week, incorporating elements created by you and other reDiscover Cardboard City participants.
Craft Zone at reDiscover Cardboard City
Get inspired and make a project of your own in our Cardboard Makerspace. Experience the hands-on fun of transforming simple cardboard into cool creations. reDiscover has searched the world for the best cardboard tools that are kid-friendly and versatile. Come with an idea of something you want to make or be guided by our Teaching Artists to create a project like a hat, figurine, or architectural model. Suggested donation $5-20 per person based on the size of your project.
Halloween Pop-up: Cardboard City Facilitators will be ready to help you with Halloween-themed projects like masks, costume accessories, trick-or-treat baskets, or decorations. Think bats, cats, fangs, and horns!
reDiscover Cardboard City Shop
No visit to reDiscover Cardboard City is complete without a stop in the reDiscover Cardboard City Shop. Here you will find cardboard sculptures, kits, and the tools and materials to make your home into a mini-Cardboard City, packed full of your family's imagination!
Executive Director: Jonathan Bijur
Art Director: Jennifer Racusin
Artist Coordinator and Site Manager: Yeltsin Penado
Gallery Designer: Emeka Simmons
Gallery Construction and Installation: Dillan Garcia
Getty Marrow Intern: Madisen Matsuura
Window and Graphic Design: Liz Reyes
Teaching Artists: Yeltsin Penado, Emeka Simmons, Jennifer Racusin, Dillan Garcia, Liz Reyes
Looking to participate in fun sustainable art making while making an impact? reDiscover's community outreach programs are made possible by the contribution of hundreds of volunteers who work with youth or behind the scenes to prepare materials for educational programs. At Cardboard City, we have individual and group volunteering opportunities daily through July and August. Volunteers who sign up for a regular schedule receive additional training in using tools and teaching hands-on STEAM programs. We love our volunteers!
- KTLA Morning News: Cardboard City by reDiscover
- FOX11: Good Day LA: Cardboard City Opens In Santa Monica
- NBC4: California Live: Cardboard City Creations
- KTLA Gayle on the Go for Sunday. July 3, 2022
- Santa Monica Mirror: Cardboard City Returning to Santa Monica this Weekend
- Santa Monica Daily Press: Cardboard City at Santa Monica Place
- Patch.com: Santa Monica's Cardboard City Pop Up Art Center Returns
- The Argonaut: Westside Happenings for June 23-26
- Radio Korea 1540AM: 산타모니카서 ‘무료 판지 도시’ 즐기세요 Enjoy the Free Cardboard City in Santa Monica
- LA Parent: Cardboard City
- Yahoo News: Cardboard City Museum Opens in Santa Monica
- Kids Guide Magazine: Cardboard City in Santa Monica
- Mommy Poppins: reDiscover Cardboard City Opening Ceremony
- ABC 7: Cardboard City: Santa Monica popup lets visitors transform cardboard into art
- The Argonaut: Santa Monica Project Invites Crowds to Pop-Up Art Center
- LAist: The Best IRL And Virtual Events Happening In SoCal This Week: July 5 - 8
- NBC Los Angeles: Free, Crafty, and Kid-Cool: 'Cardboard City' Opens
- Santa Monica Close Up: Cardboard City by reDiscover
- Los Angeles Times: From Shakespeare to 'Golden Girlz' drag: 10 best bets for your weekend